Pentewan Village Website

livin’ the dream

The village and its harbour date back to medieval times, when Pentewan was mainly a fishing community, with some stone-quarrying, tin-streaming, and agriculture. Leland, writing in 1549, referred briefly to ‘Pentowan’ as “a sandy bay witherto fischer bootes repair for socour”.

Between 1818 and 1826, local land- and quarry owner Sir Christopher Hawkins substantially rebuilt the harbour, partly to improve the existing pilchard-fishery and partly to turn the village into a major china clay port. At its peak, Pentewan shipped a third of Cornwall’s china clay. The last trading ship left in 1940.

Many of the older buildings, as well as the harbour, are constructed out of Pentewan stone. Some – including All Saints Church, completed in 1821 – were built by Sir Christopher Hawkins as part of his long campaign to improve the village.

New book on war time Pentewan

New book on war time Pentewan

Phil Hadley who has written articles for the website before has a new book out (further details below). Phil says,...
Read More
In case of flooding what to do

In case of flooding what to do

DOWNLOAD PDF  
Read More
Kings Wood and Phytophthoraramorum

Kings Wood and Phytophthoraramorum

The tree disease, Phytophthoraramorum has been found at Kings Wood and the Woodland Trust has been served a Statutory Plant...
Read More
Mill Garage Opening Hours

Mill Garage Opening Hours

OPENING HOURS FROM 28th September 2020 SHOP / PETROL FORECOURT Mon – Sat: 7.00am - 6.00pm Sun: 9.00am – 4.00pm POST OFFICE...
Read More
All Saints Church Pentewan

All Saints Church Pentewan

The church has been decorated for Harvest and you are welcome to enter and look at the display. The church is...
Read More

Film of village