V E Day Pentewan 1945

(From the Pentewan Old Cornwall Society Archive)

The end of the II World War in Pentewan was celebrated more quietly in 1945 than it was in 1918. This was perhaps because men and women from the village who were in the forces had not yet returned home, many still being overseas, in the Middle and Far East. In Pentewan on V E Day a tea party was held on the part of the Winnick which was owned by Pentewan Dock Company.

There was an arch at the bottom of North Road which was made of wood and decorated with branches of trees and flowers. The children of the village had saucepans, tin cans and a few musical instruments and marched around the village as though they were all playing in a band. The children of the village with one or two evacuees were photographed at the entrance to North Road underneath the arch. The local butcher Steve Beard with the help of most of the villagers built a very large bonfire in the middle of the village square and this was lit late in the evening and celebrations went on into the early hours of the morning.

Information and photographs from Pentewan Old Cornwall Society Archive.