Pentewan Village Website

livin’ the dream

The village and its harbour date back to medieval times, when Pentewan was mainly a fishing community, with some stone-quarrying, tin-streaming, and agriculture. Leland, writing in 1549, referred briefly to ‘Pentowan’ as “a sandy bay witherto fischer bootes repair for socour”.

Between 1818 and 1826, local land- and quarry owner Sir Christopher Hawkins substantially rebuilt the harbour, partly to improve the existing pilchard-fishery and partly to turn the village into a major china clay port. At its peak, Pentewan shipped a third of Cornwall’s china clay. The last trading ship left in 1940.

Many of the older buildings, as well as the harbour, are constructed out of Pentewan stone. Some – including All Saints Church, completed in 1821 – were built by Sir Christopher Hawkins as part of his long campaign to improve the village.

Neighbourhood Development Plan
Harvest Festival Celebration

Harvest Festival Celebration

All Saints Church Pentewan Harvest Festival Celebration Sunday 17 October at 3pm Conducted by our new Curate Revd Michael Molano...
Read More
Pentewan Old Cornwall Society Meetings Restart

Pentewan Old Cornwall Society Meetings Restart

Following the publication of the roadmap out of Covid 19 restrictions, and in line with most organisations and Old Cornwall...
Read More
Trigg Morris Men

Trigg Morris Men

After a long 15 months we are happy to announce that the Trigg Morris Men have chosen our village to...
Read More
Men’s Sheds

Men’s Sheds

Men’s Sheds provide people with a space to work together on practical projects. At the moment, nearly all are locked...
Read More

Film of village